Monday, August 4, 2008

Heading into Week Three!!!

I made a decision a week ago to not bring my computer home with me. One of the side effects of my chemo medications is a "touch" of anxiety. This led to some fairly restless days where I wasn't able to rest well. You see, I would want to work at my computer answering emails, working on projects, etc. and not be able to. This would make me anxious as my emails grew. So, ever the prioritizer, I decided my health is first, last and always at this time. So my computer stays at the office for the interim. I will let you know if that changes. One good thing is I have been able to get to my office Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings for 1 to 2 hours. I love my office and the people there. They foster within me such a wonderful sense of pleasure and joy and they are doing such a terrific job in my mostly absent state. My gratitude to them goes beyond words.

Before I get to an update on my health, I want to ask everyone to place someone I have come to know in the past month within their positive thoughts, energies and prayers. Diane Fidelibus lives within our little Walnut Creek - Indian Valley community. I hope I am not divulging any confidences, but Diane had cancer some 18 years ago. She discovered almost at the same time as me that she also has oral cancer. Due to prior treatments, Diane cannot receive radiation therapy and will therefore be having surgery this Wednesday. I am hopeful that she will have a less radical form of surgery and that she will come through this with flying colors. BE WELL DIANE!!! I have so enjoyed our sharing moments.

Today I received my 12th of 35 radiation therapies. At weeks end I will be at 17 of 35, or half way. I will also have received 4 of 8 of the Cetuximab and 1 or 2 of Cisplatin. One moment at a time, one day at a time.

I want to thank Joyce for her wonderful blogs while I was recovering this weekend. I am learning that Saturday and Sunday are important days for me to build strength for the coming week. This past Saturday was a difficult day for me as I was dealing with 3 different things happening in my mouth. My throat is becoming dry (dead saliva glands) and sore from the bombarding radiation; the third dose of Cetuximab decided to display its side effects through ulcers on my inner lips and gums and I developed a raging case of Thrush. This made it nearly impossible to eat unless I numb my entire mouth. This has taken some practice. Plus Joyce has helped me find foods that I could gum down my throat. Well, I now have a way to deal with this and feel great for it.

I think NYC was great for Blair, Niels and Joyce. They all got to do something they wanted to do (maybe Joyce will blog with more details?), plus it allowed them a break from this disease which has consumed our family for the past 2 1/2 months. It was also great for me that I got to spend 5 days with my Mom. Everyone knows there is nothing like having Mom take care of you, but we had a chance to talk about some things that we haven't discussed in years. I love her dearly. I also want to thank Dad for sharing her with me. Thanks Dad and I love you too.

My Mom and I met with Dr. Yom after radiation last Thursday. She scoped me again and it seems my primary tumor is half it's original size (YAHOOOO!!!) and that it has receded from my voice box. Dr. Yom was especially pleased with this as she stated it was a concern of hers. I know I have said this before, but UCSF Med Center is an awesome place. I feel in such great hands. Plus Dr. Yom makes me laugh a lot.

One last thing, Joyce mentioned how inspiring, heartwarming, humbling, etc all of your comments and emails have been for me. I continue to be amazed and in awe of the outpouring of positive thoughts and energy from each of you. Please know that you all have touched me in a very special way. Thank you!!

I will try not to be so long between blogs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should all be so lucky to have so many people pulling for us. You are truly blessed with a wonderful family and an incredible network of friends. I consider myself lucky if I am included.

It's so awesome to hear that you are responding so well to treatment. Even more awesome and inspiring is your positive attitude through all of this. I know it must be extremely difficult at times (wow, what an understatement), but I so admire your determination!

Kick this thing, keep up the positive outlook, know that we are all pulling for you, praying for you, and we'll do anything we can to help you get through this!!!

...always, K

Unknown said...

The count down is on. Each day is one day closer to the end of treatment!! We are glad that you are in such capable medical hands. Knowing that you are receiving cutting edge medical treatment is a great compliment to your positive attitude. Here's to the month of August flying by.
Take Care,
Kathy and Pat

Unknown said...

I'm thrilled to hear that everything is going so well!

. . . and don't worry about a thing. We have BOB from Accountemps here now.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Half way there!! Yeah! Dr. Yom's news about the tumor is wonderful to hear. It's comforting to be in such good hands. After reading Jim's blog it's easy to see that Dr. Yom and the staff enjoy your visits. Well, they can only have you a little while longer--we want you back!

Eileen,Fred and Dave said...

Hang in there! I don't have any bad jokes for you right now but I'll work on it. Our thoughts are with you.
Eileen,Fred and Dave

Chris said...

Glen, I'm so glad that you were able to make the decision to turn off the computer and focus on your health. I know how hard that was for you.

Everybody at the office misses your vibrant presence when your not here and can't wait for your full time return. To the extent you can, we would love to continue to see you in the mornings. Your positive attitude is great to have around first hand.

I am reminded on a regular basis of what a great guy you are when I talk to your clients and they tell me how much they like and respect you.

Keep up the focus on this battle knowing that your clients and their needs will be well taken care of.

We miss you.